“Tawaf” is the greeting for this Masjidul Haraam.
Tawaf means to revolve around. However in the context of Hajj & Umrah, Tawaf means to revolve around the Kaaba seven times to complete the procedure of Tawaf.
If somehow a person does not want to perform Tawaf or if it is feared that due to Tawaf he may miss the collective prayer, he can offer the prayer.
Types and Classification of Tawaf:
There are seven kinds of Tawaf:
- i) Tawaful Qudum Or Tawaful Tahiyyah: when a pilgrim enters the Masjid Ul Haram for the first time in the state of Ihram, he will perform a Tawaf which is known as Tawaful Tahiyyah or Tawaful Qudum.
This is Sunnah, a pilgrim who enters Mecca Mukarramah with the intention of performing Hajjul Ifrad or Hajjul Qiran.
However, it is not a mandatory for a pilgrim who comes to perform Hajjut Tamattu or Umrah, or for the resident of the Holy City of Mecca. But it is a mandatory for a resident of Mecca Mukarramah who journeys beyond Miqat before the months of Hajj and enters again in Mecca in the state of Ihram with the intention of performing Hajjul Qiran or Hajjul Ifrad.
- ii) Tawafuz Ziyarah (A Mandatory Tawaf): It is also known as Tawafur Rukn, Tawaful Hajj, Tawaful Fard and Tawaful Ifadah.
This is an element of Hajj. Hajj is not completed without it. It starts with the dawn of 10th Dhul Hijjah to the sunset of 12th Dhul Hijjah.
iii) Tawaful Wada (Farewell Tawaf): Also known as Tawafus Sadr. It is mandatory for a pilgrim.
- iv) Tawaful Umrah: This is an element while performing an Umrah and is mandatory for a pilgrim performing Umrah.
- v) Tawaful Nadhr: It is mandatory when a person (not performing Umrah or Hajj) has made a vow to Allah to do it.
- vi) Tawaful Tahiyya: a person who enters into Masjidul Haraam must perform Tawaf. This is like prayers of Tahiyyatul Masjid when a person enters into any other Masjid. But if any other Tawaf is performed, it becomes its substitute.
vii) Tawafun Nafl: This is not a mandatory tawaf and can be performed at any time during the visit.
Important Points While Performing A Tawaf:
- Tawaf starts when you progress from Hajarul Aswad towards Hatim.
- Tawaf is performed in a director of anticlockwise keeping Hajarul Aswad to your left.
- Starting from the point of arrow marked, one circulation complete when you reach Hajarul Aswad again.
- To complete a Tawaf Seven rounds / circulations must be completed.
- Facing Hajarul Aswad there is a line made of black stone, across the floor of Masjidul Haraam, stand a little before this line to form Niyyah for Tawaf.
- If you stand on this black line you will face Hajarul Aswad. This is the position for kissing
- Hajarul Aswad.
Kissing Place of Ibrahim is forbidden. Please make special note of it.